Saturday, April 16, 2016

The Huntington Library | The Gardens

For the past three years, every time we've driven through Pasadena, I've pestered my best friend when we pass the sign for The Huntington Library. We have to go! 

Minolta SRT 101 & Fujifilm X-TRA ISO 800

I work in a museum, but I can't help visiting other museums during my time off (I suppose that's how you know you're in the right field), so when my 25th birthday rolled around, I knew exactly where I wanted to go to celebrate. Yes, I am a fun and exciting person, why do you ask?

Minolta SRT 101 & Fujifilm X-TRA ISO 800
The grounds are gorgeous, and I could have spent many more hours just wandering around (well, the spirit was willing but the flesh was weak - I need better shoes). I live in a desert, which is a lovely environment on its own, but it was refreshing to be around so much damn green. 

My favorite area was definitely the Rose Hills Foundation Conservatory for Botanical Science, a large, classic iron and glass greenhouse that was filled with interesting interactive exhibits - and plants, lots of plants. I'm the exact opposite of a green thumb and know precisely zero about the botanical sciences, but I loved being surrounded by this little capsule of nature. It was hot, humid, and lovely.

Minolta SRT 101 & Fujifilm X-TRA ISO 800
My trip the Huntington Library was also the first time in around two years that I really put my film photography skills through their paces. Looking back through the photos, it's clear I'm rusty - some of the grain is intolerably high, the photos from my Yashica Mat are basically all a wash from camera shake - but I don't really care. It was extremely satisfying to go back to film, and I'm going to keep practicing.

Minolta SRT 101 & Fujifilm X-TRA ISO 800
The Huntington Library is full of treasures, and has some amazing exhibit design to boot. If I lived closer, I would have already shelled out the (considerable) money for a membership. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment